Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
Fair enough; the main thing swaying me is that I've tried several full frame cameras and feel like making a change, tbh, but the 5D3 is way out of budget. There's just something that appeals to me about having a full frame body; from my experience there's just something different about it, whether it's image quality or not

Alternatively I'm also considering a used or new 5D2, but I've heard the autofocus is subpar on those...
I'd go with the 6D over the 5D2, due to the AF that you mention.

Remember, you're probably comparing newer full-frame cameras to your old 7D, which is three or four generations old. Moore's Law also applies to sensors and processors. The 7D MkII has a brand new sensor and two Digic -Six processors.

I assume you're shooting Raw, but, if not, you need to be. You'll have great control of shadows, contrast, color balance, etc. Those that use in-camera JPEG are using setting decided on by a committee of Japanese engineers. Why would you do that? Plus, properly exposed Raw images will yield another f-stop of dynamic range.

I own both a full-frame and a 7D and have the 7D MkII preordered. I'm looking forward to the new camera's detail resolution and improved dynamic range over the 7D.

Dave