View Single Post
      10-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #31
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
ACO GTE cars are not tubular chassis. As you can see from the video you posted, the cars are built off production body shells. A steel tubing safety cage is integrated into the body. It also helps stiffen up the body quit a bit, especially the Z4. The wheelbase must stay the same as the production car as well.

Here is what the ACO homologation rules book list for GTE "Original" chassis:

"Entirely sprung part of the structure of the vehicle, to which all the suspension and/or spring loads are transmitted, extending longitudinally from the fixing of the front bumper to the fixing of the rear bumper."
yes, okay, I confused how the tubular chassis with tube cage. My point is, the race car is very different than a street car.

the closest to street car racing would be a Pirelli World Challenge or Continental Series car where they build it off a production car.

LM GTE cars is as far from production as it could be other than a few specs here and there. I've been to numerous ALMS races and seen these cars up close, there's nothing production about these cars at all aside from cosmetic parts and dimensions.
Appreciate 0