View Single Post
      08-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMD View Post
Thanks for the info and advice! UT Austin is a great school, hope you like it there.

I want to major in Econ because of the great job prospects and I find it interesting. I'm not going to pay all that money to major solely in biology and have no contingency plan if I don't go to med/dental school. With Econ I could go get an MBA and become a financial advisor or something if it doesn't work out.

I could look into something like a major in Econ and a double major or minor in biochem/bio. I would agree that only the basic prerequisites probably don't prepare you as well as they should. Gotta ace those USMLEs! I'll definitely be sure to take upper level science classes with my Econ major, I'll take some summer classes if I have to in order to graduate on time.
Yeah I completely agree. I think this is a great idea.

And your post reminded me - one other option is to simply load up on extra upper level biology courses during your junior and senior years. You don't have to double major per se. Because biology and economics don't have a lot of overlap, double majoring in economics/biology might not be feasible.

Personally I was lucky because chemical engineering requires quite a bit of biology/biochemistry/chemistry so there was a decent amount of overlap and certain classes counted towards both degrees.

But if I had a choice between Biology or Economics, I'd choose economics for the reasons you mentioned.

It looks like you have a solid plan lined up. Good luck and feel free to ask anything if you need more advice!
Appreciate 0