View Single Post
      08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Awesome. I'm a senior at UT Austin double majoring in Chemical Engineering/Neuroscience and I'm headed off to medical school once I graduate.

Economics is a fine discipline to study, but I wouldn't recommend only majoring in Economics if you plan to go to medical school.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend only majoring in a biological discipline either in case medical school doesn't work out (and this includes simply realizing that you don't want to become a doctor midway through your studies). That was my rationale for choosing ChemE/Neuroscience. I've got a strong foundation in the biological sciences for medical school, but I also had an engineering degree to fall back on.

Anyways, whatever you choose, you should definitely look to apply to undergraduate programs that have a strong reputation. UT Austin's undergraduate ChemE program is ranked 4th in the nation which is great (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...orate-chemical). Reputation and prestige aren't everything, but I'm sure it didn't hurt when applying to medical school. Not all GPAs are considered equal to an admissions committee. Having a strong GPA in a major from a prestigious institution is definitely looked upon favorably.

Here are some undergraduate rankings for various business-related disciplines that might interest you -

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...kings/business

U.S. News isn't the end-all-be-all for rankings, but it's definitely one of the more popular ones.

But like I said, definitely consider a double major (or perhaps a minor in some biological science if applicable). I love that you want to study economics, but I just think the typical pre-med program isn't rigorous enough to truly prepare you for the first 2 years of medical school. The additional expertise you'll gain from majoring in biology or biochemistry should serve you well. I know there are a few physicians on this website so hopefully they can chime in.

Aim high and apply broadly. Good luck!
Appreciate 0