09-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #40
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
There are roughly 30,000 deaths in cars each year (averages about 82 a day). How hard would we have to look to find a death caused by a driver that failed to see something?
This is unfortunate, but call me cynical, I doubt saving lives is what's driving autonomous car development. I can just "see" army of lawyers in the future trying to shift responsibility from hardware to software to tires, to road conditions, to driver not being alert, not performing software upgrades on time, to insurance policy...etc.

No software is ever perfect, not even when you have fully controlled set of input parameters and clean requirements on exactly how to handle them. Yet traffic as we know it today is hardly predictable, highway flowing traffic maybe to some extent. Hope you see where I'm headed with this, and why I feel it's going to be very difficult to get this right.
Some of this tech. will hopefully make driving safer in form of aids to the driver, but fully autonomous driving will take a while I think.
Appreciate 0