Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtleg View Post
Saturday I went to the local pick yard. Strangely enough they had 2, black 325i's on the yard. No other e90's at all.

It was good for me as I needed black 325i parts. My sons car was gotten cheap, and some of the reason was scratches/dents on the driver and passenger doors, and a trunk lid with very bad/peeling paint. Obviously a bad respray.

Also the left side speakers quit working a couple weeks ago and the right rear tire kept loosing air, ever since I put new tires on in September. Tire shop corrected for free last week but mentioned due to corrosion on the wheel bead it was just a matter of time before it started to leak again.

So Saturday I grabbed a front and rear passenger door, 1 each from 2 different cars, trunk lid, Hifi amp and a spare matching wheel.

Installed the amp yesterday and that fixed the stereo issue.

Today my son and I installed the trunk lid and doors. Getting the trunk to line up was very fiddly. Seemed when the body lines were correct the striker was not and vice-versa. Eventually we got it lined up correctly and closing properly.

The doors were much easier. Still had to shim the rear door a good bit for alignment. (glad I grabbed the shims at the junk yard in addition to the ones from the existing doors). All locks and windows work properly. Even got lucky with the passenger door mirror being the same as what was on there so it functions properly.

We still need to swap the interior panels from the old doors as they are black and the replacements are gray. Also the existing doors windows are a different shade of tint than the new ones so we will swap the glass over as well. Project for tomorrow.

It wasn't until I started cleaning a spot on the new rear door I realized we have an issue. Our car is Schwartz. I am a bit colorblind mind you but the new door is black. It's also not just black. Diamond Schwartz. It was super dark and overcast on Saturday plus the normal dirty salvage yard coating of grime and I truly didn't notice a color difference. Even my wife and son didn't see it until there was good lighting and a clean spot.

Oh well. I am sure it will throw people off. Hope it doesn't cause any wrecks along the way.
Good finds minus the color being off!
Appreciate 1
Dirtleg179.50