M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
What would you like to know specifically?

I would say almost anything in excel (in a business setting) can be accomplished using Vlookups, SUMifs and Pivot Tables lol...

I kid you not. If you know those 3, almost anything can be done.
This is true. If you master the topics in MS Excel (Vlookups, if statements, and Pivot Tables), you pretty much have everything you will ever need with Excel in the business environment. Now, you may need to create crazy formulas that reference other tabs and perform calculations, but that's almost always just trial and error to get the formula correct (unless you already know the formula).

The only way I learned was on the job - I had a task, report, or data that I needed, and then began lots of trial and error, reading, and messing around with the data to see how it is output. I once spent 16+ hours straight on an excel spreadsheet getting the crazy formulas corrected. Something like 8AM-2AM at work....straight thru (it was year end)

If you need to do more than the three functions above, you need to learn how to use MS Access or a more sophisticated tool. Excel is a powerful tool but has its limits.
Indirect formula works to make it easy for models with a bajillion tabs lol.