Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
1. Size
2. Marketing
3. Future 3 and 5 Series Owners

If one really needs any sort of utility, even if you have a family of only 3, this car isn't going to cut it, you'll have to bump to a 3. So it's not an option for many.

Second, BMW has quite obviously gone to the War Room and decided to capitalize on their 335i and upcoming M3 and gut-shoot the competition. They want as much distance to the incessant Japanese that constantly get compared to them in the magazines, and they want to slit the throat of Audi and Mercedes new offerings.

People are going to get in their little Chevy Aeros on a balmy Saturday morning and head to Honda to get their dream car, a V6 Accord or decked out Civic Si. They are definitely going to see the billboard and hear the radio ads of this insane 1 Series that has ALL MAINTENCE paid, is a real To-God BMW, and smokes the doors off most cars $30k-$50k higher.... Jee Martha... lets get us a BMW for LESS of a payment than one the Honda salesman quoted us.

The Jap dealers have notoriously had shitty lease rates because they are arrogant. They sell every car they make, so why dole them out? BMW is a lease dream, and always has been. The payment on my 335i is the same as a high-end Accord. Where is any thinking involved?

Third, BMW has pulled out all stops and declared a self imposed Armageddon on all competitors. You see, in a few years these 1 Series owners, totally impressed ahppy and orgasmic, will soon be plunking down cash on a 3 or 5 Series. Same as the Harley Sportster is nothing but a marketing ploy to generate future Fat Boy owners.

Genius. MacArthur would be proud.

"Time to pimp der BeemerShnitzen yo' " Who wants a C Class or an Accord when you can have this little terror? Wait to Hartge and Dinan starts marketing their terrors, you’ll really see 1 Series sales jump. They’ll be sold out the first year anyway.

Nice write up.....

the other thing is BMW wants people into the BMW family.....start with a 1er, then move up to 3er, then to a 5er or 7er...... Never leave the family..... Something Mini could never do.

I never thought about how devastating the 135i will be on the rice rockets....great point....