View Single Post
      10-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #39
samoe93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335

That's really impressive - congrats on kicking the credit card debt habit. I haven't always been credit card debt free either... did the same thing as you when I was in school and buckled down after finishing. Pushing through and making that last payment to wipe it clean was one of the best feelings ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
Credit card debt has owned me for most of my adult life. I began living above my means when I got my first card at age 18. By the time I graduated college (1998), I was about $30k in the hole. When I got a real job I lived closer to my means but couldn't overcome all the interest and minimum payments, so I sunk further into the hole. I maxed out at $60k in 2003, then tried to get out unsuccesfully until I really buckled down a year ago.

I lived like a pauper, transferred all my balances to 0% cards, and sold some stocks and stock options I had. I ordered my car so that the first payment would coincide with me getting to zero, which will happen in December with a little luck.

I had planned to actually experience being debt-free (aside from mortgage) before buying the car, but then I decided I would enjoy the car more than being debt-free. It's still massive debt, but at least I could sell the car if I had to.

Here's the ugly history (yes, I got carried away with car upgrades there at the end):