View Single Post
      11-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Anyone else fascinated by this future management book chapter in how not to run a company?

- Buy an ad revenue dependent company for more than its worth
- Piss off / freak out all your advertisers
- Fire 1/2 your workers
- Think you have leverage to threaten the remaining ones and lose even more

Best guess is that twitter has fewer than 2k employees left, down from over 7k.

Entire departments are gone. Payroll, communications, etc. Some of those functions like finance and payroll are pretty easy to outsource but still the business disruption has got to be painful.

Musk told everyone that he only wanted "hardcore" workers who were ready to work crazy hours, now with no work from home ability. When you really put the screws to people, the best and brightest are the ones who will jump ship because they can. What you are left with are the mediocre hang-ons who arent marketable and cant easily find a better place to work.

I think this whole thing is a massive miscalculation by Musk. He's proven time and again that he can build successful businesses where people are dedicated to him almost like a cult. But taking over an existing business with an existing culture and trying to bash people into your cult following, no, you cant do that. Cults are carefully grown and cultivated from the ground up, they cant overtake and succeed.

So, anyone else finding this train wreck highly interesting?
Oh it is super interesting, have some popcorn, sit back and see if this strategy pays off. One way of looking at it is he got people to quit without severance (in some cases) who were probably people that would have opposed the direction he'll want to take Twitter. So that clears a path for him to replace those with people that would be loyal to him (cult like), but on the flip side, he is going to have to staff quickly to replace those that have left, and good luck doing so in this environment I think.

I suspect this is a miscalculation as well by him, but time will tell. Never liked Twitter, so has zero impact on me, but it will be interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Can you imagine how his fellow investors are freaking out? Fascinating to watch someone completely melt down and flush 44 billion down the crapper.

I feel really bad for the poor souls stuck there or the ones forced to leave because of his idiocy/trying to be a tough guy. He’s effing up thousands of lives and appears to give zero effs about it. Tired of these sociopath corporate a hole types that think they are the king (or queen) of everything.
Who was forced to leave because of his idiocy? As far as I know, pretty much everyone was offered their job (maybe some weren't, but nothing major that I heard), but droves of people chose to quit. That's different than being forced to leave. If you don't want to do your job, you are free to leave. But I don't feel sorry for anyone that chooses that - it was their choice. If it was that bad, then they obviously are in a better place having left right? And presumably, if they are decent, they'll find better work. If they aren't, well, they shouldn't have left.

It is his money, he can blow it however he wants, and nobody should feel sorry for him either when it is wasted or he makes crap decisions with it. Some twitter employees were calling it a "toxic" workplace...I doubt that. I just think their little woke souls couldn't handle being asked to produce and show up in person. And if it was toxic, then good that they left - that's the only way it will change. Either way, their departure is a good thing.
Appreciate 10
2000cs3516.00
jesm207.50
hubbahubba8951.00
DrFerry6731.50
ntg442891.50
MKSixer34190.50