Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuBimmer View Post
He's known as a long term non progressor. People's bodies react differently to the virus just like any other disease. There are people infected with HIV that will never have to take a single medication and will never develop AIDS. This is very rare though of course. One thing that benefits Magic is that he has tons of money so he can afford the treatments which can cost thousands of dollars for just one drug. Someone taking medication would have to take a cocktail of drugs so treatment is not cheap at all. One drug to help treat HIV would have so many side effects that two or three other drugs are needed.

I haven't heard about this, but it wouldn't surprise me. Treatment is used to keep the viral load down which is the number of RNA copies of the virus in the blood. Effective treatment can decrease the viral load to where it is undetectable which can give you a false negative test where it shows that HIV is not present when in fact it is. This also happens at the early stages of acquiring HIV where your viral load count is low and HIV is latent that when you get tested, it shows that you are HIV-negative. That is why they suggest that you come back to get tested in a couple months.

We need to educate ourselves more about this pandemic because it is still killing millions of people a year. There won't be a cure for HIV/AIDS for many many years because of the rate of which it mutates, but there are ways of prevention.
There's no known documentations that Magic is a non-progressor, or a known mutation on CXCR5 or CCR4. He just has the money to burn so he can afford the latest treatment in HIV. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were to go off of HAART, his viral loud will bounce back up and result in full blown AIDS.

Also, for the crowd, having a viral load of undetectable =/= cure of HIV or AIDS. It just means that the concentration of the virus in the serum sample is low enough that the most sensitive available to us cannot detect the presence of the virus (I believe right now it is <50 copies/ml). Consider that you have about 5L = 5000ml of blood in your body, that is still 250,000 copies of the virus in the body. If you go off the meds, it will bounce right back up.