Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
This idea that the U.S government can never become tyrannical or turn on its own citizens being propagated by the left is frightening. It's scary, I am literally afraid that the left will manage to get a blanket ban (which btw is their ultimate goal), and we'll be defenseless against tyranny.

The 2nd amendment exists for a reason, and our forefathers knew this reason personally. German citizens of Jewish descent wished they had these rights in 1939.

I'm not some wacky, tin-foil, anarchist who thinks all government is bad, but to assume the U.S government can never turn on its own citizens is lunacy. The threat of armed citizen resistance is one of the reasons this hasn't happened in over 200 years, but now? I feel like 1776 is due for a sequel if this continues.
The American government turned on citizens with Japanese ancestry during WWII. Look into Executive Order 9066 signed by FDR. History usually finds a way to repeat itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
what does this "executive order" mean for the rest of the country. Specifically for us in NC. I know Texas and Oregon has opposed it already.
It all boils down to enforcement really. The President can make whatever orders he wants to, but at the end of the day, who is going to enforce an assault weapons ban for weapons that are already out there? The local police aren't designed to go door-to-door and take weapons or magazines from people. Not to mention the fact that some of them probably just won't do it because they don't agree with it. Are the feds going to do it? It will take decades to make a difference. I have heard from the Democratic NC Senator saying that she did not want to touch the 2nd Amendment because she is a fan of hunting.

The executive order is supposed to be taken as law, although it can be overturned by Congress. Unfortunately, they are usually not overturned, only two in history have been overturned. I have not heard of any intent for NC to fight any EO enacted by the POTUS, though.