09-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #101
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
where did you guys learn how to do what you do? i.e. where did you learn proper techniques, how to use the hardware, what was what, how to process, etc? did you take a class, study photography extensively, just read a lot? its just that there is so much outstanding work on here and id like to find out how to improve
I like to know what some of you have done also....

I'm getting ready to purchase my first DSLR camera. I've taken some photo classes in the past, few years worth, but that was with the film type 35mm. Learned quite a bit, as well as how to develope and make prints. I've messed with our company Canon XSi quite a bit and even have taken it to some meets, but now I'm at the point where I want my own and start getting back into it. I went and held many different camera's, T1i, 50D, D5000 and the D90. As much as I love Canon, the Nikon D90 just felt so nice in my hand. I held the D5000 and the T1i and my hands felt cramped. I was considering the D40 because of the price, but others mentioned its near the same size as the D5000. I've decided on the D90 and figure I'll start with the kit lens 18-105mm VR. I was thinking of getting a prime lens 50mm f/1.8. Anything thing else I may want to look at for my first purchase? Suggestions?