View Single Post
      08-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #91
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
If I understand correctly, following statements as per my knowledge are correct:
  1. the bearing issues are prevalent in the pre 2009 production ///3s as the mileage goes up
  2. BMW changed the bearing part# from '09 production but didn't changed the clearance
  3. the catastrphic damage happens in the warmp up window due to the thickness and flow of 10w-60
  4. Changing the bearing with the '09 is a band-aid solution
  5. No aftermarket replacement bearings with increased clearance
  6. Permamnent solutions is to machine crankshaft
  7. Treated bearings are not a solution due to reduced clearance
  8. Mobil 0w-40 is a band-aid solution
  9. Lack of expert companies to do a complete engine overhaul
  10. One's peace of mind is gone for good every time you drive this car
  11. BMW refuses to acknowledge there is a latent issue with regard to the bearings

I know at least one other case of engine blow up with low mileage in an '08 ///3 in our region, Australasia. This is very serious than first thought, at least in my case. I just don't know what to do.

Given I haven't got my car serviced at the dealer since the warranty expired makes it even worse. Had I got the car serviced, BMW would have extended a goodwill in the first five years of the car's life even if the warranty has expired. That's at least the case in Australia. I don't have that option either.

I don't know how a class action works. Anyone like to chime in. More I think of this now, the happiness the car gave me each time I drove it, has now changed to mortal fear. It's like a ticking time bomb

I think we need to start a engine failure register with VIN# for reference, and approach BMW. What we have currently is an ad hoc posting of engine issues and what we believe are fixes. Whilst being respectful of everyone's contribution, it's time we gathered some solid evidence to support individual cases. This is very serious.

Jason, would you want to do the honours for us and start a thread please on S65 engine failures - vin#, mileage, BMW's approach, owners' experience etc.? Thanking you in advance.