View Single Post
      12-13-2022, 09:38 PM   #34
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
What for? Please remember I'm an IT noob.

The other poster said that my Win8.1 is in the BIOS, so does that mean it's embedded in my computer even w/o its HDD and now has a SSD in it, so I can still run Win8.1 if I choose not to upgrade?
The license to run windows has been included in many BIOS's. I do not know when it started or if your machine does. That's "permission" to run Windows. Used to be, we either had to pay for an installation disc/software, or Windows was "particular" to the hard disc drive you got at purchase, and you HAD to upgrade that one.

As far as "cloning", I'll answer the same to you as to the other poster. Asking you to reinstall all your OTHER software and data to a "fresh" installation of any version of Windows seems to be asking a lot since these other questions seem to be way above what your able or willing to do. Depending on what you have installed, this could become VERY labor intensive. A simple/cheap clone program could copy your old installation to a new SSD.

It's YOUR possible suspicion that it's "viruses". Who knows. But fresh install will probably be as much work to copy everything over to a fresh install from the old computer than to clone and debug/devirus.

Shawn
Appreciate 1