11-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
I'm genuinely interested in learning more about this, and before I do some little research, Can any Canadians out there tell me how Canada manages to keep their drug prices so low?

Is there some type of government subsidy? Perhaps, some sort of Public Policy? Any knowledge would be of interest. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Cool -- good insight.
just to clarify, are drugs cheap horizontally ~ or much cheaper based on your health provider. i.e., if you don't have health insurance, is it much cheaper?

In regard to the actual R&D questions, i guess i'll have to do a little research on it.

Thanks for the info guys.
There is a government subsidy, and as mentioned most of the drugs here are generic; so they are cheaper in general and it is horizontal. My wife was on Lamictal in the U.S, the cost (without insurance) was $770/mo. In Canada the same drug is $230. With her insurance she pays nothing. FWIW, you only need insurance for prescriptions and extended hospital care; but like I said the general price of drugs is much lower.

So yes, I believe drug companies are subsidized or funded privately. A lot of the research goes on at schools. AFAIK, there aren't many major Canadian drug companies.
Appreciate 0