02-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #135
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I read it. Here's the thing, I agree you can't discount all Tiffens, Hoyas, etc. Their upper echelon filters are pretty good.

That being said, my first filter set were Tiffens. After purchasing my B+Ws, I see a noticeable improvement in IQ. Whether that shows up simply as % transmission or not, I can't say, but the overall IQ is better.

I personally think there is a reason why most pros choose B+W, Heliopan, Singh-Ray, etc filters over other brands. This isn't like a comparison between Monster cables vs. Monoprice cables, imo.
I agree, most of mine are the B+W, however, i still take them off when i shoot about 50% of the time now, unless i'm shooting around my girlfriend on her horse, a lot of dust gets kicked up, so i'd just rather keep the lens clean.

It definitely comes down to the old argument, you paid 1500 for a lens, why make it worse?

Or

you paid 1500 for a lens, why not protect it?

Unfortunatly, i sit on the fence on this one, I both like the idea of protecting my lens, but i also like allowing my lens to do it's job.

I think Canon, or someone else, needs to come up with a filter that is a quick disconnect like the lens cap, so it can be quickly removed, but that would be over complicated.
Appreciate 0