View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
huber
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi guys, thought I'd post a quick review of the MFactory LSD on my E92 335i. I had this (and a few other goodies) fitted by Advan Performance not long ago.. I can't speak highly enough of Advan Performance and BMR Autowerkes - they've been my one stop shop for mods.

It's been pissing down rain recently in Sydney, so I haven't tested the LSD in anger (nor with DSC/DTC off - will try this some time in future). In the wet, the difference is night and day with the LSD. The traction control lights used to go bezerk even during light throttle, but with the LSD fitted, the car grips and accelerates far better in the wet, and requires much more throttle for traction control to kick in. Definitely much better grip, acceleration and predictability when accelerating in the wet.

In the dry the difference is especially noticeable coming hard out of tight corners. The traction control won't react fast enough to catch the car before it slides out slightly, so beware of this. In a straight line (in the dry) the traction control definitely kicks in less with aggressive driving, but with the power the car puts down, its impossible to avoid wheel spin if you mash the accelerator (JB4/downpipes) - need to learn to gradually apply throttle to the point just before loss of traction. Hard to feel whether acceleration off the line has improved much, but I'd imagine so.

The MFactory LSD is very quiet, except there is some slight delayed backlash(?) noise when I come off the throttle after accelerating hard. I'll get this checked out when I get the car serviced in the next month or so (and diff oil changed out), but even if this noise is normal, I could easily live with it.

Was it worth the money? Probably, for the sake of occasional spirited driving and driving in the wet.. but I'd imagine most of the benefits would be seen on a track.
Appreciate 0