02-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #67
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementary View Post
You mean Voltex? Regardless that's a pretty bold statement. From this thread alone I've searched what lap times I've found with Voltex GT wings on BMW's and I found the following:

Evasive's E46M3 with a Voltex GT wing turning 1:59's @ BW on a stock motor + r-comps.

Platte Forme AG's E46M3 with a Voltex GT wing turning 1:53's with a Voltex @ BW supercharged on r-comps.

Needless to say I don't think they're "overrated".

I said Varis and I mean Varis. Voltex is pretty decent too. They use a very straight foil design which is beneficial if the wing is located above the roof-line like the Porsche GT3 RS competition wing. If the wing is located slightly below the roofline a 3D foil design is most effective. Also, the foil needs to have proper sideplates and the Varis sideplates do not go above the foil, which causes slight turbulence and not the best airflow.

I did a lot of research on wings before I made my decision. I think they are all great wings and are better than no wing but I think the APR wing is the best, followed closely by voltex and then varis.

P.S. I did a 2:04 at buttonwillow my first time there with low boost, shitty street tires, and KW V2s, haha. My APR wing also shaved almost 5 seconds off my time around Big Willow. I expect to be 1:58 or so next time I go to Button.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0