View Single Post
      07-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

You can usually change money at the airport, but you may pay a stiff penalty. If you just need euros, do it in advance, and know the market rate. Negotiate with the bank, and see if there is a break point for fees. Some will waive fees if you change a certain amount, like $500. I think AAA is free too if you change over $500. Shop around, see who has the best rates, but check the WSJ to see where the market is.

I carry cash in Africa when I go, but that's me. I keep a stash safe in my room or in a vault and carry maybe the equivalent of $100USD. Tell your credit card companies you are headed abroad, and find out the fees. My MasterCard rapes me, My Amex rapes the merchant. So determine what your transaction fees will be ahead of time. Don't buy something only to find out your MasterCard has a 3% ForEx fee.

Lastly, blend if you can. As a big white guy with blond hair, I don't blend well in Africa, but as long as I don't open my mouth, they don't know I'm American. I get Dutch or German a lot. I've heard the trains and public transit in Europe are a hot place to steal from backpacks, so keep it in front of you. Also, leave the nice jewelry at home. Remember, you are in a foreign country and you are an easy mark. It may seem like a good area based on your experiences at home, but you aren't "in Kansas anymore" and you can't accurately asses your situation like you can at home.

In Europe, if you are traveling extensively, I'd consider travelers checks. Remember to keep a record / receipt stashed somewhere safe along with credit card numbers and customer service lines and a copy of your passport.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0