06-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
just any beefy computer with 4+GB or RAM and some fat ass hard drive (expandable) or might consider investing in tera station or something. should do.

what u gonna be doing on that server? is it a file server? does it host apps?
it will be a file server and will most likely hold apps. we have some central apps to our business that we want in one spot that will always be up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Dell or hp have pretty good solutions with integrated management features, their solutions are pretty scalable as well. Call the small business line for either and they will walk you through and suggest a good solution to meet your needs.
yeah, so far i'm leaning towards dell. we get the business discount and microsoft has some small business loan type deal where we can basically spread the expenses over a long period of time. i forget the exact details but its pretty nice.

I was thinking about calling the smal business line but want to havea better idea of what we need first so i dont get oversold stuff we dont need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
don't forget to invest in backups (a must for all business with electronics data). Something that can handle raid configuration, or tape backups, or an external hard drive.
+1 to raid. we also have an offsite backup done every night.