View Single Post
      08-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Wear items are not covered (brakes, fluids, etc...) That being said, insurance has faith that BMW did the correct testing and your rod bearings shouldn't be failing at an increased rate (hasn't been proven that they are like on the S54). Therefore, they won't cover it. Obviously if a bunch of engines blow up because of this reason, then NTSB / class actions and the sorts can happen and insurance companies will get involved so they aren't dishing out $25k for this...
Well here is my warranty coverage

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/maxcare/default.html

Before buying this warranty I checked with both local indy BMW and VW/ Audi shops that are ASE certified and they all said it was very easy for them to work with Maxcare as far as getting coverage and reimbursement for repairs. My former VW/Audi mechanic even told me they had to have an engine replaced which was covered easily.

What is covered

"Gasoline Engine - Cylinder block, and all internal lubricated parts including: crank shaft, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, expansion (freeze) plugs, connecting rods, wrist pins, pistons, piston rings, camshaft, cam tower, lifters, cylinder head, valves and guides, valve springs, rocker arms (cam followers), pushrods, timing chain housing (cover), timing chain and sprockets, timing belt and pulleys, timing belt tensioner, intake and exhaust manifolds, exhaust manifold cover, flywheel, balance shafts, harmonic balancer and retainer bolt, crank shaft pulley, valve covers, idle speed control, fuel pressure regulator, barometric pressure sensor, oxygen sensor, throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, idle air control solenoid, oil pan, oil pump and pressure relief valve, oil cooler, oil temperature sensor, air cleaner assembly, engine oil cooler hoses, oil filter adapter/housing, engine oil sending unit, motor mounts, water pump, water temperature sensor, temperature sending unit, thermostat and housing, fuel supply pump, fuel pump control unit, fuel tank sensor, vacuum pump, vacuum control valve, vacuum switch, positive crankcase ventilation valve, dipstick and tube, seals and gaskets, fasteners for the components listed above."

Obviously I don't want to have to test out what is covered and what is not.

But curious if EAS would know of any local ASE certified indy BMW mechanics that was able to get this covered for when the time comes that I have to do this. And what steps I would have to take... ie serial oil samples that show rising lead levels? or do I have to pay to drop the oil pan and if the bearings are indeed prematurely worn then it is covered...
Appreciate 0