12-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I actually did not like the fact that the 991 manual derived from the PDK and not a "dedicated" manual. I expected not to be great. But after driving one I think it is a very very good manual. Way better than the e92 M3 manual.
I am thinking about the GT3 and the PDK-S a lot. I could potentially trade my GT3RS in and not to pay a lot more. On the track the PDK-S is surely better and I would be faster for sure. The thing is I do not know if I want to be faster. I am OK now (not being on the track, not driving) if someone is faster. On the other hand if I get passed by some friends or wife on track, just because they have the PDK I am sure I will have to have one.
I actually like the feel of the shifter in the current 6 speed cayman s vs the 7 speed in the 991, but maybe it's just me and personal preference. I think it comes down to R&D money. The bulk is being spend on the PDK a system and having the manual derived from that saved them money. Like you said it's still good and most people who want a manual won't complain, but the majority going to PDK a makes sense to spend the development money there.

I am with you on going faster, even in the M3 I find that there are not too many people you can play with at lapping days even in the advanced/instructor group. Many are going dedicated or spec racing in lower horsepower cars. I am thinking the new cayman gt4 may be the way to go and even then it will probably be very quick and capable. I guess that is what chumpcar racing is for.
Appreciate 0