12-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #96
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
And the 5-60, aka real world acceleration, is probably at least a half second slower. Shit, my '04 was faster. How pathetic.
I wonder why they chose gearing such that it hits 60 in third. With such a low redline, I thought they would have spaced the gears out a little wider. Short gears don't benefit acceleration in turbocharged engines in the first few gears.

My 09 WRX with 6500 RPM redline hit either 65 or 72 mph in 2nd if I recall correctly. From my understanding, the USDM STI hits 60 in 3rd due to the gearing being optimized for the 2.0L EJ which revs to over 7000 RPM (7800 I think?), but to deliberately design the ratios for a brand new car this way is strange. Unless they just carried over the ratios from the previous gen WRX, which would be...odd. But not at all surprising at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last generation of WRX. Subaru doesn't really care that much about it anymore, so I don't see why we should either. I'm more interested in the GR86/BRZ at this point. Never thought I'd say this, but there are more exciting Hyundais currently available than the new WRX.