View Single Post
      05-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Keyboards...

Just ordered one of these keyboards. I know, I know this keyboard doesn't seem anything special. And this probably won't mean anything to the really young guys on here. But it's a keyboard by Unicomp. Unicomp is the company that bought out the licensing rights to manufacturer the old-style IBM M keyboards from IBM/Lexmark. They still make keyboards on the same machines as they did way back in the day.

For those who aren't in the know...these keyboards have the mechanical switches. These type a lot better than the current generation of crappy membrane keyboards. If you recall...the old IBM keyboards were built like tanks and had a very solid clickey sound and action to them. Very cool...

I could have bought a used IBM M keyboard on e-bay...but I didn't want to spend several hours cleaning someone else's old gunky/gross keyboard.

Did some shopping on forums for serious keyboards...seems like some people are really into their keyboards. Several admit to buying several keyboards to stockpile...just in case they don't make them anymore. Here are a couple names to search for if you are interested:

-SteelSeries 7G (more setup for gaming...mechanical switches but with anti-ghosting tech)
-Das Keyboard (cool keyboard with no labels on them)
-iOne Scorpius M-10 (made in China...replica of the IBM M keyboard...but apparently has some build quality issues).
-Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 (imported from Japan...$$$)
-Filco (imported from Japan...$$$)

Both Filco and HHKP2 seem to be considered the best. However, they seem to be pretty damn pricey. This Unicomp one is only $69. Should last 20 years...or a 100. I'll post a review once I get it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0