View Single Post
      12-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb The *HOME THEATER* Thread

I hadn't seen any threads on this subject so figured I'd start one.

If I missed it, forgive me and feel free to merge Mods.

So it is no mystery that I am a HUGE "Movie Buff"! And also, over the past 3yrs since really beefing up my Home Theater setup, my movie going is few and far between. Except for the 'Big Budget Special Effects Blockbuster' that are more of an experience in IMAX!
So My setup consists of:

Yamaha Aventage RX-2010
Vizio 801i-A3 (LG PZ60-950 moved to Master Bedroom as of today!)
Belkin Pure AV PF60
Samsung BD-F7500 Blu Ray
Toshiba HDA35
DirecTV DVR
Infinity PRIMUS Speakers: Center, Front, Surround
Acoustech PL-200 Sub

So after a couple years of thorough enjoyment from our 60" Plasma (which we will be moving to our bedroom) I pulled the trigger on this Monster during Black Friday. After receiving a damaged one, this baby finally arrived today and I have spent a couple hours tweaking it. All I can say is... I was already not going to the Theater that much. Looks like that trend will continue even more so!

To put the size in perspective, this is the box next to a standard door in our kitchen!

This is the VIZIO 801i-A3

I have been researching TV's for months on various A/V Forums. Initially I wanted to stick with what I've owned: Samsung, LG, and Sony. But Vizio has really ramped up their product line over the last couple years and clearly competing with the big boys! Not to mention, you're looking at $7k and up generally in 80" and above. This panel is also used in the Sharp 80".
I have been very concerned with losing out on the "phenomenal Black Levels" that Plasmas are known for as well as their ability to handle fast moving objects with an amazing 600hz! My 60" Plasma truly has a stunning picture on anything you throw at it!
So after firing her up, I knew immediately that I had to calibrate this BEAST. It was far too bright and blueish. But that is how they suck you in at the big box stores under all that bright florescent lighting. I will say that it is MUCH improved after using a calibration disc and my own personal tweaks. It is NOT quite as nice and deep as Plasma but the 6ft of screen more than makes up for it!

In addition to discussing Audio and Video equipment and recommendations, I think it will be nice to also discuss certain Blu Ray titles that you find "Exceptionally Nice" for sound (DTS Master HD etc) and visually stunning! Example - if you do not own these titles already you owe it to all that $$$$ investment you've made in your HT setup: TRON, MATRIX Trilogy, Avatar, Inception, Transformers (all), Captain America: The Winter Soldier are just a few that I strongly recommend you grab immediately.