03-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What would you do (job related)

I have a subordinate working partly as my assistant. Instead of doing the job she's suppose to be doing, she rather take on some meaningless tasks that no one asks of her. She uses that as an excuse for not being able to complete what she's suppose to do, and when confronted, she said that she wants to be a team player and help everyone. Now the director of the company had asked my opinion numerous times about her competence. The first few times I put in good words for her and told the director that I think she can improve. However, as time went by, I realized she lacked a lot of the very basic knowledge that was necessary to be in the position she's in. Added onto that, she refuses any type of attempt I made to train her, acting as if I'm wasting her time. What's worse, I'm seeing some small indication that she might be trying to sabotage some of my work as I've found detrimental mistakes in the work that I know for a fact I didn't make.

Yesturday I had another lengthy discussion with the director and this time I was not so supportive of her. I clearly indicated to her that it's not really working out, and unless someone else from corporate is willing to come and re-train her from the start, I don't believe she can get the job done. Unfortunately, she said once more, like she said the previous 3 times I met with her, that we'll give this girl one last chance. Now my question is, would you skip the director and go above her to make the request for the change? Or what would be your course of action.

Now I know some of you will say, just get rid of her, but understand that I'm in a delicate situation where I do have a lot of influence, and if I do insist, she will be fired. However, this will put me on bad terms probably with the rest of the people in the office. I don't want to be the cause of someone getting fired, as firing/hiring is not my responsibility. I already conveyed my thoughts to the director, and if she can't make the right decision, I'm stuck at a bad place. I shouldn't have to go up to her and say, I want this girl fired.