View Single Post
      01-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Window washer falls 47 stories ... and lives

This happened a couple days ago, but I didn't see anyone else post it.

This is truely incredible.

USA Today
Alcides Moreno fell 47 stories and lived to tell the tale.

The window washer rode a 16-foot scaffold as it careered down the side of a skyscraper and crashed into the alley nearly 500 feet below.

His brother, Edgar, died in the Dec. 7 accident. But now, less than a month later, Alcides is alive and alert. He's chatting with relatives. And doctors say they expect him to walk at the end of a year-long course of physical therapy.

"Thank God for this miracle that we've had," his wife, Rosario, tells reporters, according to the New York Post.

The hospital says it was touch-and-go for quite a while, with Moreno receiving 24 units of blood and undergoing more than a dozen surgeries while doctors kept him in a medically induced coma.

"If you're a believer in miracles, this would be one," says Dr. Philip Barie, chief of critical care at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell, according to the Daily News. "I've seen it all - or at least I think I have - until something like this happens."

Authorities are investigating the cause of the accident. No one's sure how Alcides survived the fall, leading us to conclude that it was the Miracle on 66th Street.

“This is right up there with those anecdotes of people falling out of airplanes and surviving, people whose parachutes don’t open and somehow they manage to survive,” Barie tells The New York Times. “We’re talking about tiny, tiny percentages, well under 1%, of people who fall that distance and survive.”
Appreciate 0