04-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I don't get what everyone is saying about clean up with the charcoal? My clean up is no different than the clean up on my parents propane grill.

The biggest difference between my webber kettle charcoal grill and a propane grill is that the charcoal grill can get much hotter than the propane. I have an infrared thermometer and my charcoal grill gets about 400 degrees hotter than my parents brand new $1000 propane grill. The difference in that 400 degrees is what sears the each side of the steak. Thus keeping more moisture inside ma steak.

Clean up is easy. Start up is easy. I just light the charcoal about 20 min before i'm ready to cook. I feel like i can control the hotspots better with the charcoal by pushing the coals around where i want them.

As far as taste, my parents will always opt for buying the steaks if they can come over and have them at my place. I don't think there is that much of a taste difference, but i know that i've been to several steak houses and my steak is on par with most and better than several. Whether or not that's because of charcoal is up for debate. However, most of the ones that i would consider better or on par with mine use wood burning grills for their steaks.
I had this explained to me, about the higher heat sealing the juices inside a steak, by a friend of mine the other night. He has a state of the art gas grill, which he uses to put steaks on so he can blowtorch them at 3600 degrees until they carmelize on the outside, then puts them in the regular oven until the temp is 121 for rare, or 126 for med rare. It's insane science to me, but it was the best steak I've ever had.

He also told me that the Green Egg is better than a standard grill because it cooks at a higher temp, but his next project is to jailbreak his Egg by cutting a hole in the bottom and taping a hair dryer to it. The extra air circulation is supposed to increase cooking temp by 3-400 degrees. You can't make this stuff up.
Appreciate 0