02-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Kilockel
I like monkeys.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet black 2006 BMW E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Just wondering if ANYBODY uses the "mid grade" gas.

I wouldn't but what's the point if you do?
Aren't cars from the manufacturer either tuned for 87 or 91+ Octane??

Does any car ever come with a recommended 89 Octane tune on it?
I'm sure they do, although I have no specific examples.

Quote:
Since it's basically just throwing your money away to use 89 Octane if your car is tuned for 87 Octane, and just harming your car if you use 89 Octane when it's tuned for and recommended 91 Octane, why do gas companies spend the money to manufacturer 89 Octane???

Wouldn't they save a ton of money if they just made 87 and 91 Octane for the states that use 91 Octane max.
And make 89 and 93 Octane for the states that allow 93 Octane max.

Heck if anybody wanted to use 89-90 Octane, they can just mix the 87 with 91 or 93 anyway.
It's not necessarily pertinent to the question, but are you aware why there are gasolines with different octane ratings?

I'm pretty sure the mixing of gasolines with different octane ratings would give you the result you're expecting. (I just have a hunch, and no facts to back it up.)

Quote:
Am I wrong in thinking it would save a ton of money to eliminate 89 Octane and then have higher quantities of 87, 91, and 93 Octane and therefore bring prices down too?

Just a random thought.
An interesting thought, at that. I have a hunch that you're incorrect, but I have no proof or any reasoning to show. I wouldn't be surprised if some of your thoughts are correct on this matter, and I'm very interested in learning more from a few other members before researching the matter myself.

EDIT: I just realized my post is absolutely pointless and brings nothing to the table. Sorry!

Last edited by Kilockel; 02-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Edited to show my stupidity.
Appreciate 0