View Single Post
      10-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #25
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i just watched the vh1 show on wallstreet mill/billionairs and all i can say is wow. you think movie stars, trump, etc make alot of money, these wall street gurus are making 800 million year to even 1.5 billion a year. i would be happy with even 1 million a year.

anyone here involved in wallstreet? i am a freshman at college and am seriously thinking about getting involved in it. my parent's say the job is really hard and stressfull but if you can manage and make money you can retire early and be one happy man.

do tell your thoughts.
Been there, done that. Investment banking on this side of the computer, and let me tell you FEW make that much money and those that due have given up their lives and many are on the 2nd, 3rd, etc marriage. Money is not everything, you got to do what you love. I got friends at Hedge Funds and they are worked to the bone. Sure they make great money but spend a crapload of it to live in Manhattan, plus the stress. I used to be all about Hedge Funds and I-Banking, then I worked for an I-Bank and one of the founding partners at the firm told me: "As long as you depend on a W-2 you will never have financial security." He was right, and I listened and absorbed all the information I could from him about all his business he ran OUTSIDE the firm. Here I am 4 years later running my own company with 10X the free time that my Wallstreet friends have.

I think wallstreet is fun and exciting, but I view it as a learning experience. If you get your law degree or advanced business degree and get hooked up in the right firm you can learn so much which can lead to you opening your own business or doing your own thing.

PM with specific questions, still have contacts throughout the industry.
Appreciate 0