View Single Post
      01-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #120
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
Actually, the first modern Audi to be sold under the 'Audi' brand was the 1968 Audi 100. Around the same time, Auto Union was renamed Audi AG. But it was still the same company, and it has been making cars continuously since the early 1900s.

In comparison, the first modern BMW was the 1962 BMW 1500. Older cars like the Isetta and 700 had very little in common with modern BMWs. Most people don't even know that in the first 20 or so years after Word War II, BMW was primarily known as a manufacturer of economy cars.
Not exactly. Audi 80 and Audi 100 were models and not a brand in 60s; it was under Auto Union which is modern day Audi. And so TECHNICALLY Audi was established in 1909 but it's laughable in my opinion.
For comparison, BMW history goes back to 1917 but I'd say BMW got big in the 60s with New Class and New Six then the 3, 5, 7 series in the 70s.

But honestly, it doesn't matter. What I meant to say, my message was, that Audi was not popular/big until 90s.
I've been to junk yards and if you've ever been to a junk yard, they usually have cars from the 80s and 90s and you see a load of BMWs and Mercedes' but you don't really see an Audi. Last time I went to the junk yard, I actually paid attention and found TWO Audi's in the entire lot compared to many BMW's and MB's (hard to put a number but I'd say about 30-50 each)

In addition, when I go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine weekly, I consistently see quite a few BMW's from 60s and 70s (I'd say about 5 every week) and a LOT of current/recent BMW's, lately mostly the M5.
I see many Mercedes' from 50s (about 5-7 every week) and a quite few current ones.
On the other hand, I've yet to see a single "classic" Audi. I might've seen an Audi 80 once. And I rarely see a current Audi (A4, A5, A6, A8, etc). I do see R8's every other week.. some weeks there are none, some weeks there are like 5 lol.

Main point: Audi was not big until 90s. I don't care when they said the company was established.
Appreciate 0