View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #1122
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I'm exactly like you. "Chain restaurant" is usually a red flag to stay far, far away, but trulucks is consistently excellent in my experience. I actually went to both Sullivan's and Fleming's last week and I was extremely disappointed with meals that ranged from mediocre to awful.

Sullivan's and Fleming's are bonafide steakhouses (albeit chain steakhouses) and yet somehow Trulucks manages to cook filets much better.

My filet at Sullivan's was entirely over-seared and way too dry. They technically nailed the temperature properly in that meat temperatures are defined relative to the center of the meat only and not to the periphery. Usually you'll get a perfect medium rare or rare in the center, but the periphery will often be overcooked. The mac and cheese was completely bland, and to make matters worse they no longer offered a souffle for dessert which is the only reason I went. I opted for their "cast iron blondie" which was OK but nothing special. The caramel ice cream on top was pretty pedestrian.

Trulucks gets a nice, perfect, consistent temperature throughout the filet and they manage to keep their filets moist and juicy.

One steakhouse chain that I have yet to try is Bob's steak and chophouse. There are locations in both Dallas and Austin. I'll need to give that place a go one of these days.
Mate, do not go to Bob's. I have been twice and it was only because it was across the street from the W and convenient. Not worth it; save your money and go to La Condesa.

By the way, had the pork chop at Trio on Saturday (ate al fresco) and it was delightful.
Appreciate 0