View Single Post
      10-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #31
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Use option 3.

Everything you own should have seperate HDMI and optical outputs. Plug the HDMI outputs into the back of your TV. Plug the optical sound outputs into the back of your receiver.

Rarely (and I mean extremely rarely as in, I've only heard about it working) has an optical cord coming out of the tv into a receiver ever led to complex audio coming out of the receiver. It just sends out what the tv can process (which isn't much).

This will solve a lot of your problems
Pros
-HDMI into the tv means that your tv will have sound from everything without you running sound from your receiver to your tv
-Optical into the receiver means you get the best sound possible into the receiver without having it messed with by the TV

Cons
-Make sure all of your components let you select where the sound comes from (the 360 does have this option)
-You'll have to go to the component menus individually when you want sound through the tv instead of just going to your tv and turning your external speakers off
-More money on cables
-You have to change video on the tv and source on the receiver everytime you want to do something (go get yourself a logitech harmony remote)

Note for if you meant that you dont have HDMI on your 360: I have an xbox elite, but I used to have the old one. They make/made a dongle that includes optical out instead of the red white/black. If yours didn't come with that, go get one. Plug the component into the back of the tv and the optical into the back of the receiver.

EDIT after seeing last post of other thread: If it can indeed take audio in, you can just go ahead and hdmi the sound and video into the receiver and optical out/analog out the sound into your tv like I said in the other thread.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 10-07-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0