View Single Post
      07-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #329
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

BBC F1 technical analyston on how to fix the loop hole

Quote:
"To fix the loophole, the FIA could write a rule that said: "The accelerator pedal travel will be defined as 0% (minimum) to 100% (maximum) and at any position between these two end stops the percentage torque output of the engine base torque map for the measured engine speed must match the accelerator pedal percentage +/- 1%...

"This would mean the relationship between throttle pedal position and the torque delivery must be linear.

"And the rule could finish by saying: "… and the percentage of throttle body opening must match the accelerator pedal percentage +/- 10%.

"That would mean any change in torque characteristics could not be done by just retarding the ignition - a common method of employing engine braking - while leaving the throttle open to pump air through the engine and exhausts, which is a way of using the exhausts for aerodynamic effect.

"Allowing a margin of +/- 10% provides some leeway for the characteristics of different engines, as all have different operating requirements."

Gary Anderson
F1 technical analyst
Appreciate 0