05-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #4281
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
24mm is usually enough on a full-frame, but the water movement will not allow stitched panoramas. You may want the UWA to take long exposures on your tripod. Don't only long exposures of the falls, but you'll want a couple of good ones.

I'm in NYC right now and for the first time, i only brought my 40/f2.8 to force myself into using only one focal length. I feel like I'm back in the 1960s and will never do that again. I'm on the 37th floor, overlooking Time Square. I haven't process the shots, but I will end up cropping some shots that I wouldn't have to crop if I'd had my 24-105mm.
Ouch. I would never bring a single prime on a vacation. If my primary objective was street photography or something like that, then sure... but, when you tour a city you never know when you'll need the ability to zoom, since many times you're in tight places or places where you can't easily move to re-frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
My pack always has a 50mm prime, a 70-300mm, and a 28mm prime. I tend to use these three when I shoot races. The small pack makes it easier to move about the in field and I honestly cant think of a situation ive put myself in where none of these three lenses didnt make sense.

My bag is small, basically just enough room for the body and 2-3 lenses depending on their size along with a tripod and a monopod strapped to the side of it and a cleaning kit, extra cards, etc...
Yeah, I forgot to mention to mention the 50mm prime. I'll bring that for sure because it's so nice and small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Rodi would be proud of you.

The 24-105 has to be the best all-around lens there is. If I could only have one lens, that would be it.
That is true Mark... and Rodi doesn't get proud very often. I also agree that if I could only take one lens, the 24-105mm would be it. It's my every day workhorse. I just wish they made a f/2.8 version of it some day, but sadly it would be like 50% more weight and cost a ton more.