Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Yeah this is like my dream. The vast, vast majority of my spending is for restaurants, and I'm only getting 1% cash back with BoA.

For me, it's still early enough to where I wouldn't mind taking a hit on my credit score to open up some new credit. The only problem with the 5% restaurant cash back cards is the "5% cash back" category usually rotates every quarter. It's probably too late for me to jump on that now, although it could be useful for next year (and beyond).

Now what does the term "restaurant" actually entail? I know some credit cards make a distinction between "restaurants" and "fast food," for example. Is the category "restaurants" as broad as one would expect?

As far as I know, there isn't a single card that offers 5% or even 2-4% cash back on "restaurants" year round.

Quicksilver probably comes the closest, as it offers 1.5% cash back for everything.
You're right, it rotates quarterly. When I said now, I meant this quarter. It ends this month. It would be lovely if it was all year round.

I only know that it works for regular restaurants. I usually pay cash on the one or two occassions a month that I grab fast food though, so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe I will grab some later just to test it out