View Single Post
      06-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #71
fermion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

of course, the chinese government will try to paint the tibet invasion in the favorable light. will the chinese government, or any government for that matter, admit that they invaded a country for territorial gain and natural resources? the answer is no.

however, is this actually ever the truth? the answer is also no. it is pretty easy to draw parallels to the american invasion of iraq where the stated goal was to remove the WMD threat. now, the iraq war is being painted as bringing freedom and democracy to the iraqi people while the actual reason for the invasion was probably to increase american influence in the region. this was done in the 19th century as well when the european powers colonized the world under the guise helping save the "heathens".

so what is the difference then between china and the democratic free world people ask. the difference is the toleration of dissent. in china, people who have a different opinion than the official party line and are also brave enough to speak up are punished or branded as terrorists.

in the western world, toleration of dissent led to the decolonization of india and africa. today in the US, this same dissent is forcing us to rethink our flawed strategy in iraq and confront our mistakes. dissent opens up the possibility for change and better solutions.

i'm not going to argue anymore as this is rather off topic, but i think people should comtemplate the significance of the fact that in china, this discuss would not have been allowed to occur.
Appreciate 0