01-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #96
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
You're probably right. It was just a thought I had.

I also hadn't thought about online sales that much either, so that's a good point. The last two weapons I bought were at gun shows because I got a good deal on them. I also still had a background check done at the gun show, so I didn't personally experience this "gun show loophole."
Total taxes generated by the firearm industry in the US during 2012 will be in the range of $4.5 Billion. My guess is with you guys that it will likely not be much of a hit in NY with the already stringent laws in place.

I think the loop hole they are talking about is the sales that take place between patrons. Here in FL you can see a guy carrying a gun at a gun show, ask him if he wants to sell it and pay him for it on the spot; no background check or waiting period. I have purchased weapons from private parties and actually prefer that in order to keep noses out of my business. But if i were to sell one of my ARs to a private party with no back ground check and it were used to kill innocent people by the person i sold it to and a simple background check would have stopped the sale... well, that's an easy decision to make. By all means cut out private party sales with no background checks. You do need the support of the people to keep these things from happening though.

One way to do that is extreme punishment for the original owner of the firearm should it be used in a crime and there was no FFL transfer done for that sale. The seller should be charged as a willing accessory to the crime committed.

If your firearm is stolen and you fail to report it stolen and it is used in a crime you should be charged as an accessory to that crime, just as if you drove that person to the scene of the crime knowingly.

If you report a firearm stolen more than 3 times in a year your license is suspended. If you report a firearm stolen more than 6 times in your life, you license is revoked.

Why is logic lost on the government?