View Single Post
      01-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
The S4 is a great package in "whole" it’s no better than the 328/335i. They both have their strong points. I think largely the build quality and interior styling is pretty even, even though I prefer the BMW.

S4 is a more expensive car so it has some things I wish I had like Nappa Leather, that badass steering wheel, and gorgeous shifter. To be honest price was not a factor the extra $100 to $150 would not have swayed me but the S4 is a more expensive car no matter if you lease or buy.

That being said the 335i has its positive points as well...RWD (nothing is more fun), IDRIVE (I hate MMI as much as the crappy screen it’s on), BMW Perks (European Delivery at the Welt and the Performance Center), Cheaper, and more options for tuning without voiding your warranty.

Now the S4 may be 3 to 4 tenths faster the first time you run (heatsoak sucks on the engine) but I can spend $379 on a JB piggyback and be faster all day while still keeping my warranty. As for grip change the tires like a lot do and the S4 will be behind the 335i.

These were the two cars I decided to buy so I drove both at least 4 times even on a racetrack once. The S4 is an amazing car and so is the 335i to me there just different. I am not trying to vindicate my purchase either, I wish I had the S4 steering wheel, Nappa leather, and shifter every day I drive my car but "you can't have your cake and eat it too"
I used to have a E90 335i (with the N54 engine) and a number of other BMWs prior to that. I currently drive an A5 S-line. I love both brands but feel that Audi has surpassed BMW as a better overall car, and even, dare I say, better driver's car. Also, Audi is constantly improving and making their cars more driver-oriented, while BMW is moving in the opposite direction and is quickly becoming the second Mercedes.

As far as build quality, it's not a night and day difference but Audi is definitely better, especially when it comes to attention to detail (i.e. tighter gaps between body panels, better paint, better rust protection, etc.)

With regards to the S4 engine being prone to heatsoak, this is the first time I hear it. The 3.0TFSI is a great engine and its official stats are waaay underrated (kind of like the N54, but not the N55). This is why the S4 is so much faster than the F30 335i despite being heavier.

It's sad that BMW is losing sight of what made it successful in the first place. ten years ago, BMW was the undisputed driving machine. No other company made 4-door cars that could rival BMW in terms of handling and driving feel. Nowadays, BMW is just another luxury car brand.
Appreciate 0