04-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
That is not necessarily true. MS has a tremendously difficult job making sure their OS is compatible with the multitude of pc components out there. There is a lawsuit currently in the court dealing with the Vista Capable label MS was bestowing on some new pc's that had a host of problems. The case caused MS to release internal email (here) that seem to show MS was well aware of the problems.

My favorite passage is when Mike Nash, Corporate Vice President, Windows Product Management states that Vista turned his computer into nothing but an "email machine."
Yes, their logo program had issues, but that was clear from the start. I have hardware that said it was Vista Compatible and didn't even have any drivers at all, they just decided to say that the hardware WOULD would if they made drivers some day.

I can give you that MS dropped the ball with the logo program, but at the same time, I see the logo program as a validation for people to be sure that their components are compatible. I still think it's the third party's responsibility to make sure their hardware works too rather than taking advantage of MS's lax certification process.

But still, in the end, this is all driver plugins to the OS. Drivers cause 95% of the crashes in Windows, not the OS itself. I just get tired of people saying "MS Sucks, Windows Sucks" when in reality it's companies like NVIDIA releasing horrible drivers and crashing the OS constantly that make it look like Windows has the problems. Once you have stable drivers, Vista is fast and rock solid.