10-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
There are a few things that I agree with but, in the end it's just opinion and preference. All of these cars have some problems with ergonomics and advanced electronics.

I also have an '05 G35 with Nav. The "toggle" control is a PITA and why the hell is it mounted on the RIGHT side of the Nav system where it's harder to reach? (same thing with climate and volume control, all three primary controls are on the right side of the console away from the driver. Entering addresses is basackwards (street then address #). It takes way too long to enter addresses through all its menues (unless it's in the address book). Try toggling the map around to identify streets and sometimes it jumps two miles at a wack then other times a quarter inch. Also, since all cars can now tell if there's a passenger in the right seat, why doesn't the system allow full control when there is a passenger?

I've tried out the new Infiniti Nav also in an '08 G35. The touch screen is a very good feature but it's set an inch or so into the dash so your hand blocks some of the screen and you can't see where your touching...not all the time but particularly when selecting something on the right. All the new icons on the display makes it hard to read in the city. At least they finally moved the radio and climate controls to the left side of the console. The new nav dial control is an improvement over the toggle but if the car is moving then your hand bounces around because there's no place to rest it. You can put a couple of fingers on the surrounding surface to steady your hand but then you end up inadvertantly pushing one of the short cut buttons. Both the dial and screen are far enough away from the driver that you have to lean forward to reach them which can be uncomfortable when entering control sequences. The extra "short cut" buttons on the G35 are nice but they're at an angle and can be hard to see unless you're sitting with the seatback almost straight up.

I'm not condeming or advocating one or the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. The bottom line is just that no company that I'm aware of has solved the ergonomic issues of incorporating such a complex control system in a car. I do have a suggestion for the car companies though. Aircraft companies have been wrestling with the same issues of electronic displays, nested menus and control systems since the early 70's and have had the same types of problems. Maybe the car companies should hire some cockpit designers to help them out.
Great post!
Appreciate 0