02-10-2022, 05:30 AM   #35
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
How does it work if I download a different program to code my car, if I’m coded with something else? Do I have to go back to stock first?
Doesn't matter what program (NCSExpert, Protool etc) you use to code. In fact, Protool is just the guts of INPA and NCSExpert adapted for Android devices and given a simpler interface. Once again, the application you showed in your first picture (INPA) IS NOT FOR CODING. It is for diagnostics.

You do not have to return to a 'stock' condition to perform any coding operation. 'Coding' is just choosing between a few values already pre-specified by the factory. BMW stores a list of codes in CAS and NFRM modules called the VO (Vehicle Order). In 'default' coding, NCSExpert or Protool reads the VO and sets the specified variables in the module selected for coding to the values associated with the VO code(s). The other form of 'coding' is where you go manually edit the values for each module rather than simply relying on the VO - again, only certain pre-determined values are allowed. But in neither case is it necessary to return to any particular set of values. You just change what you want to change, that's it.

Again, I would urge you should spend a little time reading one of the many tutorials discussing what 'coding', 'programming' or 'flashing' and diagnostics really mean.

You might be better off just hiring someone reputable to do this - there are a number of remote coders contributing to this forum. I have no personal experience with any but I don't think you could go wrong with someone like Joe@TopGearSolutions or sd*********. They've demonstrated in their postings that they know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0