09-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #383
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Oh, [Titan Black modified Rolexes are] real.

...lif at some time in the future you need to recover some of the money you spent on the watch, you're far better off with a "stock" Rolex. Rolex watches, curiously enough, retain their value very well.I say that's "curious", because a lot of horology snobs look down their nose at them. Rolex produces a lot of watches, so there's a certain kind of watch person that simply can't look past that.
Do they? I confess to (deliberately) not knowing too well folks whom I consider snobs. I do know a few folks who are very "into" watches and to a lesser extent the science of time measurement, horology. One of them isn't keen to own a Rolex herself, but she has plenty of respect and regard for the company as well as the watches it makes. She wouldn't ever tell someone that a Rolex is a bad watch or that there's a good reason not to consider buying one.

There's no question that she feels there are other makes of watch that better display the attributes she values most in fine watches. That, however, is not her being snobbish against Rolex and its watches. It's quite simply a matter that she has limited resources, none of the watches she likes/wants are inexpensive, and so, given her strong awareness of what she prizes most in watches and what's available, when she has a tidy sum saved up to spend, she puts it toward watches other than Rolexes.

I suspect that were I to bring her a fake Rolex back from the PRC, she might get a kick out of wearing it a couple times for the aesthetics, but as I'd never give her such an item, that remains something neither of us will know for sure, at least not as far as my having anything to do it. If she becomes a multi-hundred million dollar lottery winner, I'm sure she'd buy a Rolex. In fact, I'm pretty sure she'd buy me one too.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0