Thread: Rolex
View Single Post
      09-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #382
jebsurf
Rep
Drives: N/A(yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Oh, they're real. Of course, I guess that depends on what one means by real. Titan Black is a watch customizer. They start with a luxury, take them apart, change out parts, coat parts, apply custom engraving/printing, etc, then put them back together and charge a grip. There's big money in that business, but personally, I'd probably stay away.

Not that anyone buys watches as an investment, but if at some time in the future you need to recover some of the money you spent on the watch, you're far better off with a "stock" Rolex. Rolex watches, curiously enough, retain their value very well. I say that's "curious", because a lot of horology snobs look down their nose at them. Rolex produces a lot of watches, so there's a certain kind of watch person that simply can't look past that.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Good call sticking with a Rolex on the master model list. You'll thank yourself later when you want to trade-in.

Oh, and one more thing. I'd probably keep her. She seems like a great sport
Hmmmm good to know. And yeah... I feel ya. I have to school family every once and a while on a little $ lesson when some ask "why a Rolex". I went to trade in the wife's engagement ring on a bigger one a while back, and I was HIGHLY disappointed when I found out that the $8k ring would only bring 10-20% on its return on the used market. I was hook line and sinker tho when I bought it and they were telling me how well the "Hearts on Fire" would hold it's value. But I was 20 years old at the time and didn't know any better. And since we now have our rings tattooed on... it was pointless anyway. So I started to search the market of something a little different that would hold its value much better. And thats when I found out about the Rolex market. As I never look at ANY jewelry as an investment..... it damn sure holds it's value better then a diamond and that's for sure! I've seen returns as much as 60-80% of retail, which I'm 100% ok with. Anyhoot... my ramble on that too. And FWIW....she is the only one she know's out of her friends, that has a Rolex.... but every last one of them has a diamond, so its win win in my book

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Not sure if you are asking me but that particular deep sea is $15k CAD.
Nice! I'm a Cert Advance,EANx,Open water diver so that watch really appeals to me. Not that I would push it to it's potential, but yeah. Nice snag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

Not a rich man, but $6k for a bang around watch.
I guess that's all a matter of opinion. My BIL has a new private plane, yacht's, couple multi million $ vacation homes, and a new $250k Mercedes SLS...... IMO he is "rich" hahaha. Me.... I'm just doing ok.

Last edited by jebsurf; 09-26-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0