Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
LOL a tad more than that .

When my friends opened up their shop about 6 months ago..they were looking to buy a used dyno from local shops who weren't doing so well business-wise, but no one wanted to sell. They ended up buying a brand new dyno (not dynojet, but another dyno with actual load so since they were going to use it to tune cars)...it was in the 6 figure range, (AWD dyno by the way).

To the OP, I honestly don't think this is a good idea just to have a dyno by itself, without an actual shop of your own. First off, I'm sure competition is very stiff in your area with other shops with in house dynos. And 2nd off, if you were to hold a dyno day, space may be very limited since you just own a tiny portion. And 3rd..it's going to be very rare to have a customer come in and pay you the $80 for 3 pulls or whatever you're going to charge and leave. Most often, when I see cars on the dyno...they are getting tested. Meaning they do a baseline dyno, go off and install some performance parts and dyno again. Or they do multiple dyno runs to tune the ECU.

You're not going to be getting customers everyday...that's what every shop wants), but it's not going to happen. And also, think about what happens if the shop you're leasing or renting from goes down under? That means that you will either have to move location as well or lease the entire facility yourself.
Nicely well put. Like wj4 said, you're not going to get customers all the time, and even if you have customers lined up for a dyno meet, $80/3 pulls..., plus it takes time to do all three - to set up the car, strap it down, line up fans, unstrap, etc... Will take you over 600 customers to break even... not including labor (unless you do it yourself... but you gotta pay yourself a wage).

It makes sense for performance tuning companies to invest in one because it complements their business. They will use it to baseline cars, tune the cars, and re-dyno. I'd go that route... then you can have a wider customer base and you can add the pulls into the cost of the entire job.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0