01-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
How much for a dynojet? Like 30,000grand?
LOL a tad more than that .

When my friends opened up their shop about 6 months ago..they were looking to buy a used dyno from local shops who weren't doing so well business-wise, but no one wanted to sell. They ended up buying a brand new dyno (not dynojet, but another dyno with actual load so since they were going to use it to tune cars)...it was in the 6 figure range, (AWD dyno by the way).

To the OP, I honestly don't think this is a good idea just to have a dyno by itself, without an actual shop of your own. First off, I'm sure competition is very stiff in your area with other shops with in house dynos. And 2nd off, if you were to hold a dyno day, space may be very limited since you just own a tiny portion. And 3rd..it's going to be very rare to have a customer come in and pay you the $80 for 3 pulls or whatever you're going to charge and leave. Most often, when I see cars on the dyno...they are getting tested. Meaning they do a baseline dyno, go off and install some performance parts and dyno again. Or they do multiple dyno runs to tune the ECU.

You're not going to be getting customers everyday...that's what every shop wants), but it's not going to happen. And also, think about what happens if the shop you're leasing or renting from goes down under? That means that you will either have to move location as well or lease the entire facility yourself.
Appreciate 0