United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Still haven't decided on what to do with the garage floor. I mostly want to eliminate dusting, and prevent stains if I spill anything during an oil change or brake fluid flush. Sounds like ALL coatings, even professionally applied epoxy, are likely to come up after a few years. The floor will likely do some settling in the next few years, so putting tile down right away will probably result in broken tiles.
I'm thinking of doing a penetrating silicone based sealer to help with dust and water, and just using lots of cardboard to catch spills when I'm doing work.

Any anecdotes about garage floor treatments that are at least 5 or 10 years old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
I'm about to seal the floor on my new garage too. I decided to go with the Rustoleum epoxy clear coating with the stain. I've heard the stories about the colored sealant peeling up after a while and being very noticeable. So I chose the charcoal stain and clear instead. I figure if it does peel up in spots, it will be less noticeable and I can just add more clear epoxy to patch it.

I used the Rustoleum epoxy with the decorative chips at a previous place, and it did start to peel up after a couple of years. I believe the key is applying that clear coat sealant once all the epoxy has cured. It's an optional step, and the sealant was not included in the kit. I'm still debating on what I want to do with the garage floor at my current place.

Nice looking houses guys. Patrick719, my first thought when I saw your house was that it looks just like my friend's place in Castle Rock, then I realized that is where you are as well. Most likely the same builder.