Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
I use a Canon 65mm MPE lens that only works at macro ranges. Kind of a PITA to use, but it works a lot better at high magnification than anything else I've tried.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I really like my 70-200 mm with a 25mm extension tube for up to 100%. To go beyond you really need a dedicated lens and the hassle of getting enough of the subject focused to be meaningful. (BTW, you got it just right with that insect entered in this thread).

Is super-macro a focal point of your photography, or an offshoot? I enjoy some macro because it's easy to do and it'll only required the extension tube purchase to be in business at a high level. (I can even use autofocus, although I don't usually). I've thought of buying one of Canon's dedicated macro lenses to get into higher maginification, but I'm wondering if I'll make good use of it, since it'll probably only be a side interest for me. Getting bugs to cooperate in macro is hard enough, but super-macro must be a big challenge.

Not meaning to hijack the thread. Maybe we should talk in another thread or via PM.

Dave