07-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Fixed for accuracy.

This discussion goes round and round every time that there is a tragic/horrifying incident like this one. Problem is that it happens far more frequently in the USA than anywhere else in the world. Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere (we have an ongoing gang war in Toronto right now), but our American friends have to realize at some point that this issue is unique to their society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
i agree to a certain degree.

i live in an occupied country, we are not exactly at a state of war, but we all have guns and ammo at home provided to us by the army in case something happens. also people here like to go hunting. so we also have guns for that as well. but we are not allowed to have hand guns. so we cannot go anywhere with a concealed weapon.. we never had an incident like that (then again we are a small country) but we often have incidents between criminals "handling their business". innocents law abiding citizens rarely get killed.
my thinking is that since hand guns are allowed, and people are allowed to buy them freely, allows people to "derail" more often.
I respectfully agree and disagree here. Our gun culture has to contribute on some level, but if you look at events in history, almost all cultures have documented histories of violence. Vikings, Nazi Germany, the list goes on. The mechanism changes but the causal factors and the end results are the same.

The big issue with our culture isn't guns, its the entitlement mentality and the general immaturity of people, thrown together with the incredibly intense societal demand to be special that fucks people over. In our schools right now, everyone wins a prize for participating. People who are actually good at something have their achievements minimized. Its not until later, when reality kicks in that mediocre people realize that not everyone gets the hot girl, the good paying job and the fame that things start to go wrong. Now, we have some seriously pissed off people that think the world owes them everything whom are completely ill-equipped to deal with their pathetic realities.

This is where the problem arises. So, I agree that it might be American people, but I still say that its not the gun's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0